Sunday 28 May 2017

Africa Weekend

The supposed long weekend from Africa Day has come and gone. I was teaching Thursday, Friday and Saturday so it wasn't a long weekend for me. However I did have a fairly social one. I went with a friend to the Convent school production of Chicago on Friday evening. Noise control of the audience was definitely not like it was in our time at Convent. We were pleasantly surprised though by the talent shown, although the choice of musical for a Convent production was slightly questionable. One elderly nun coming out at interval looked slightly traumatised and I noticed she didn't come back for the second half. Apparently the costumes had been lengthened several times at the request of Sr Kudzai, the head.



After teaching on Saturday morning I headed out to Hatfield so see my friend Nina and her family. We went for a 3.2 km walk with Nina's baby. I raced back from Hatfield to go with a friend to Evening of Words at Reps Theatre and from there we went to Borrowdale to watch the Guy Ritchie film King Arthur. The film wasn't that King Arthur-y but was different. It was the first time I'd been to a film in the Prestige cinema. The reclining arm chair seats do put you in danger of falling asleep - it was a long movie.



Today I did lesson prep before heading out to the airport to pick up my friend Xenoula who is out from England to run dance outreach workshops in Epworth with Brian Geza. On the way I saw a man hobbling along the road with his leg in a cast. His thigh was exposed and was all raw and bloody. I felt I should have stopped to help him but didn't know what I would do. I wondered if he had been a victim of political violence. Our car mechanic said last week that there have been a number of bodies found in his area recently and they are thought to be political murders.


No comments:

Post a Comment