Friday 26 May 2017

Back to the bank and trying to get fit

Well yesterday was Africa Day, but my students (or rather their parents) decided they all still wanted lessons. I had my four year old and grade 2 in the morning, then my Chinese student and form 3 in the afternoon. For my form 3 I have been trying to read more of the book Spies, but it turned out he was back to Macbeth at school, so we worked on questions on Act 3 Scene 1.



At lunch time I had my first ever session with a personal trainer in the garden of the flats where I'm house sitting. The trainer has been and still is trying to put a class together (anyone in Harare interested?) but for yesterday she gave me my own slot for $5! I only got home 5 minutes before she came and was literally pulling on my leggings as she rang the gate intercom. I am a little tender today but it felt good. To my dismay though I discovered I can't hold my foot up to my butt to stretch - that used to be so easy, sigh.



Last night I went to a braai and a farewell for one of the US marines who is base here for the embassy. Originally we were going to go to a Vietnamese dinner at Jam Tree with Gemma Griffiths playing, but unfortunately our booking was lost. The braai was nice and chilled though.



After teaching this morning I ventured once again to Barclays Bank to see if my payment had gone through to South Africa. When I first walked toward the bank I saw a dreaded queue snaking out the door and along the pavement down the street. I decided to ask what it was for and it turned out it was for drawing cash. I don't know how long those people had stood there. I went to the shorter queue. Several elderly white men were in the line behind me and one of them said they should be allowed to go to the front based on age. This happened as I got to the front. I let an 80 year old go ahead but next thing a whole lot of other younger people started pushing forward and saying they should also be allowed to go based on age. I began to feel a bit fed up as I had already waited in line for almost an hour. They eventually let me go ahead but it turns out my transaction hasn't gone through. I've been given a number to phone to enquire about foreign payments. Wish I could simply do this via the internet but I am lucky to not be one of the people who were queueing outside in the hope of elusive cash.


No comments:

Post a Comment