Thursday 13 December 2018

Totally didn’t know about Theresa May




Yesterday was a really good day. I saw my friend Suba at Victoria Station before I got on the bus to Oxford. Sarah who I am staying with had kindly left amazing Columbian filter coffee out and mince pies and biscuits (Cara if you’re reading this, I only ate one biscuit I promise). I then went via the post office where there was a really lovely assistant who went completely out of her way to help. The guy at the counter asked me where I was from and when I said Zimbabwe he said but weren’t there only Shona and Ndebele accents – er no! There’s a Rhodie one, a middle class white one and coloured and then a range of others. My friend Demelsa that I met later had said she was looking forward to hearing a familiar Zim accent. I had said well which one? I can try the various options.



I was treated to lunch with my friend Bronwyn at Christchurch College who is studying an MBA there. She gave me a grand tour of everything, including the library there (my favorite bit – it had a curly staircase and books going up the walls – so cool), places where Harry Potter was filmed and Einstein’s study where there was a poem he had written (who knew he wrote poetry?!) We went to other colleges and the Bodleian before having scones and tea at The Rose (amazing chai tea – very warming,  Yesterday was cold).





Demelsa met me outside M&S and we went to the Christmas market. Lovely things and very festive. She had said when it got cold her strategy is to retreat into a shop, so we went and perused Waterstones. We had such good laughs. She found a book called How to Pack Your Suitcase and said it might help me so I don’t have gunpowder in my bag next time – er, it was medication Demi! There was also a book that went into great depth on how to ride a bicycle that we thought was hilarious and Demi said well maybe if it isn’t your culture and you move to Oxford where it is, you may need this – but still. We had dinner at Liam’s which serves very healthy fast food. It was really yum. Demi then got some carob from Sainsbury’s and we had some with hot rice milk at her flat, also yum. Turns out she lives literally around the corner from Sarah in Headington and I must have walked past her flat hundreds of times before.



So to relate to my heading – I like totally missed the whole Theresa May vote thing yesterday – oooops. I haven’t really been online or following the news. I might have woken up this morning to her not being PM. My friend Sarah said well the UK is in crisis you know. Afraid I retorted well you still have food and fuel available unlike Zim, to which Sarah promptly replied – for now! I can legally get a prescription made out for me while I am here to stock up on my medication – I may need to get a cover letter though for travelling with “my explosives”. Apparently though medication here might run low because of BREXIT – not all a bowl of cherries here either.





No comments:

Post a Comment