Wednesday 29 April 2020

International Pilates and a sense of loss

Getting into this whole lock down routine, possibly close to when it might end. We wait and see what dear old ED says on Sunday and in particular for me, what his plan for schools is. I've been tasked with looking into different online software options. Possibly Google Classroom but you have to buy a domain and use G Serve software which you have to pay for. Zol was promoting Minecraft (yes the game) educational tools but they are pre-set games for learning and don't give you the flexibility to create your own lessons. More of a teaching tool. I know my class would probably enjoy learning by gaming. We stumbled on Padlet today, and since it is free for the first 30 days looks like quite a good option. I just haven't figured out how to further edit a lesson plan I created. This is all if we are forced to do online learning only. Some say ED may say Grade 7's and form fours and upper sixes might be allowed into schools and everyone else at home. We just don't know, which is mightily frustrating and doesn't let you plan too far ahead. I guess it's a learning exercise.



I will miss being able to spend so much time in the garden with my dogs. I went on a nature scavenger hunt today and collected a bird's egg shell, pin oak leaves, Terminalia seed pods, a feather and then a fern. Got out my oil pastels and played with white charcoal pencil. Was nice to do a bit of creativity. This evening I did my sister's Pilates Zoom class. There was me in Zimbabwe, my cousin Jaimie in Cape Town, a friend of Beth's, Amy in Ireland and then one of Beth's clients, Stephen, in Swindon and Andrew, Beth's husband which was fun. Tomorrow night it's Zumba. Have been doing classes with Beth since the beginning of lock down as well as routines my personal trainer sent me for cardio and strength.



It has been a very sad week though, as we were told on Monday that my dear friend Heather's mum, Celia Toovey passed away after a very valiant fight with cancer. I have been Whatsapp calling Heather every week but could tell from what she said in our last chat that her mum was really struggling. It still is surreal and there is a big hole in the world where Mrs Toovey and her big, kind, generous heart should be. We got to know the Tooveys through ballroom dancing in grade 7 and Heather and I became firm friends. We had many a slumber party, picnic and Christmas together. Celia was forever cheerful, considerate and a home maker. She made the most delicious treats and a good glazed ham and we often had a good giggle. Her favourite thing was an evening of board games, with Trivial Pursuit being the game of choice. I think she and I trumped the others a couple of times. When they left Zim to join Heather in England I helped them with packing up and I then visited she and Mr Toovey in Nottingham a number of times with Heather, the last time being two Christmases ago. She is already deeply missed and I pray she is now at peace with no more suffering. My thoughts and prayers are with Heather, her dad and Celia's sisters.







No comments:

Post a Comment