Monday 12 April 2021

A small cog in a big wheel

 As first days properly into the job go, today was fairly good. I found my classrooms, checked out and in adapters for Macs and projectors, ran a maths ratio treasure hunt and for now seem fairly on top things. The onslaught of marking starts tomorrow and navigating Microsoft Teams and marking online (a new one to me). I really am blessed to be mainly in the art department. I get my own classroom with a view out to the playing fields and lots of space. We use digital tools in art making with iPads and there are a couple of cameras. Went back to basic drawing and shading of seed pods today though. A friend who works at A.R.T. Farm kindly donated some beautiful multi-colour grain miellies to us. They are beautiful with red kernels and dried husks. I might even try some drawing if I have time. The art staff help with taking photos for the school and magazine (something I am more than happy to help with!)

Just as I started this new job a window of opportunity has suddenly arisen with getting students to teach English to online in China. It is something I was trying to gain access to after doing my CELTA qualification in Cape Town. The parents of one of my Chinese five year olds that I taught French to in China are looking at starting a school and they have lots of contacts in China to connect with. Definitely a market and there are lots of CELTA and TEFL teachers in Zimbabwe. I am feeling rather old today as another past tutoring student that I took when she was in grade two, is now in form 1 at my new school. I can't believe it is that long ago that I taught her. Her mum was in the flower growing industry and often gave me wonderful bouquets of roses.

On Sunday morning when we were leaving for church, a guy who lives on the street that we give art materials to and a cup of tea arrived. Someone had kindly donated a notepad for him to record his experiences on in a digital format. As a thank you he whipped out a box and said he had a present for me. I wasn't quite sure what he was giving me but it was a tiny black kitten. I felt terrible but had to say I couldn't take it, as I just can't with our dogs and also starting a new job, I'm not home to look after it. I really felt bad though as he was only feeding it bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment