Tuesday 25 September 2012

Keeping busy

I find that I face the challenge of keeping myself occupied. There is always a fine balance between having enough to keep me busy and then overload where I take on too much. I tend to do better when there is structure to my day and I have a variety of things to turn my mind to. However I rebel against things becoming too routine, ordinary and boring and when life then seems to be awfully mundane I yearn for new adventures and new horizons to be explored.

At the moment I am restless, finding full time paid work in my field in Zimbabwe is a real challenge. I could take the professional route that many of my contempories have, which is teaching, but this is not what I aspire to be and I would like something that will be using my qualifications in environmental sciences and stimulate my grey matter to think.

I am starting to have the syndrome described in Nick Hornby's book "About a Boy" experienced by the book's character Will Freeman whereby I have units of time I need to fill. At times I have managed successfully to fill these but I now find what previously got me by just does not satisfy. It could be a sign that I have made a significant recovery and that I am ready to try take on a more challenging job. Just have to try find this job. Perhaps I am too choosey in my searches or perhaps I am still grappling with what it is that I really want to do. The fact that I am not being terribly successful with my quest for work here in Zim makes me have to consider looking elsewhere in the world. On the one hand this appeals in the prospect of something more exciting and the potential to meet new people and be in a society with a greater number of young people. It does however make me nervous to weigh up the fact that I will have to recreate a social network, adjust to a new culture and set myself up all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment