Thursday 25 August 2016

Riots and Across the Grasslands in Harare

Yesterday there were more demonstrations in Harare and for the first time when the riot police appeared people fought back. Unfortunately they proceeded to set cars alight and pillage shops and apparently the riot police retaliated by using water cannons to fire tear gas. Apparently there is a mass march tomorrow from the combined opposition political parties. I have a friend visiting from England who is doing a dance outreach project in Glen View and Epworth and today driving to Epworth we saw reserve police at every street corner on the outskirts of town and then lots of police road blocks heading out to Epworth. For a change the police were mostly interested in mini bus taxis and not other motorists and spot fines.


Since I last wrote I have seen a second psychiatrist and he has had me go get an MRI brain scan done and some blood work. He is not changing my main meds of lithium and venlorflaxen for the time being as he feels with spring my mood should lift and I may become manic if he does. He has taken me off benhexol though as he thinks it may cause memory loss and put me on something else. He is also talking about changing olazapine as it may be what makes me overweight.



I have been seeing my therapist twice a week and a couple of times with my Mum. I have to decide if I am going to my sister's wedding. I am still angry and it is a sore point. I find it difficult to say how I feel and my therapist says this is something I really need to work on.

Went to an art exhibition at The Studio in Borrowdale this evening featuring work by Vanessa Hounsell and David Chinyama. It's on till Sunday. Met some people involved in work with art galleries and there might be some work with them on running art workshops. My friend Lucy is keen to run art classes too and we have been offered space at Sorellas Pizzeria and Cafe. Contact me if you're interested. There is also some possible work being an arts and culture tour guide for in and around Harare. I need to brush up my French for it as it may be for French speakers.



If you're in Harare come to my friend Sharon Lee's short film premier next week titled "Across the Grasslands"
Harare screenings during IIFF 2016: -Sat 27 Aug, 2.30pm @ Stimulus Hub (cnr Fife Ave/7th Street) -Wed 31 Aug, 5.30pm @ Alliance Francaise -Thu 1 Sep, 3pm @ Rutendo Hall, Mufakose #SpreadTheWord

No comments:

Post a Comment