Friday 23 September 2016

Art, Pizza and Farmers' Markets

My friend Lucy and I did our first trial run of art at the Sorella's Pizzeria and Cafe this morning. We had one other person come and join us. We will try to get the word out more this coming week. It is a nice venue to hold it and the pizza, coffee and brownies are yummy. I've just been asked if I'd be willing to go do art with the patients at The Annexe at Parirenyatwa (the mental illness ward). From my own experience when I was in hospital in Switzerland and then here in Zim, art definitely helped and gave a channel for some of my inner turmoil to be let out, even when I was at my lowest point. I therefore would be willing to.





Another project my depression support group would like to work on is trying to help people who are suicidal. This came about after a friend in Switzerland contacted me and asked if I wanted to help on his project. His was more suited to the first world and was to design bridges and buildings that would prevent suicide attempts and run models to predict suicides. This is where support and awareness groups exist. In Zim we just don't really have any support or awareness and it is still such a taboo. My group wants to see if there is still a life line you can call and if not start one again. One person also said we could try tackle making mental health care more affordable as it is ridiculously expensive and so precludes the vast majority in Zimbabwe.



Otherwise to fill my mornings when I am not teaching I have been seeing friends for coffee and going round the Farmers' Market at Jam Tree yesterday. The market had all sorts of food products from Lebanese to almond flour. I overheard people saying they may need to make their own butter to sell as there seems to be a current shortage in the shops. Had a bit of a scare with my pharmacy this week as they now won't accept payment by bank cards. They said they can't pay for the import of drugs with bank transfers any more and have to pay cash. Another pharmacy would accept a debit card but am a bit worried about how long this will last. Cash is still really hard to come by in Zim currently. On a good note though, there seems to be a new private health facility that will take mental health patients. This means you are not faced with only the option of Parirenyatwa. Although I guess if we all had to go to Parirenyatwa it might be improved more quickly.




No comments:

Post a Comment