Sunday 30 April 2017

Back to biochemistry & using kinaesthetic learning



Ran an art class everyday last week for 2.5 to 6 year olds, with an appearance of Philippe, a 1.5 year old. We had two students for the whole week and then two who came for one day. It was exhausting I won't lie but got me thinking creatively and researching up ideas of things to do - had to have extra projects in mind in case we got through everything ahead of time. I was also teaching a new grade 7 boy from Hellenic who lives on a farm but comes into town, my form 3 (we mostly looked at the book Spies but did some maths and bio) and then had my Chinese favourite (who had also been coming to the art - so double whammy).

Tomorrow I do an intensive study revision with a lower six from Peterhouse, who needs to go over biochemistry but is apparently a highly kinaesthetic learner. This is a challenge I won't lie. It is also hard to know where he is at with understanding and how to plan my lesson for the first one. Going to build models of molecules out of mini marshmallows and dry spagetthi (your idea, thanks Sheree) and also make colour coded cutouts to build up DNA. Still looking for more ideas and suggestions online. Am regretting giving a discount as the amount of prep this involves is possibly not worth what I'm charging, sigh, but it is good to get back to some biology.






This coming week will also be the Harare International Festival of the Arts. Will mostly be going to the music. There's a Korean pianist who is supposed to be in the top 20 in the world, there's a Greek group that will play Greek music as well as samba sort of music. Um, a Canadian that does a mixture of Josh Groban, Sarah McLaughlin and The Barenaked Ladies genre, a Serbian violinist and a German cellist, a South African chamber group that are twinning with a British guitarist, an Azerbaijan, Serbian and Austrian who will play classical music and then an Irish band. We're also going to a tenor and pianist from Portugal I think. Will have to be careful though travelling at night as a friend had a smash and grab near us last night.




For next term I suddenly may have a job homeschooling a 4 year old and a grade 2. Means I will be pretty busy as will still be tutoring in the afternoons. Have had someone offer me a classroom to teach from but it won't be worth it as paying rent will make what I earn much less. It's more lucrative to drive to people's houses, although it makes it tiring and is wear and tear of the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment