Saturday 1 April 2017

A bit of drama and the end of term



Last weekend I had a nice break up in Nyanga with some other friends. We stayed at the Blue Swallow time shares at Troutbeck. Whilst two of the guys fished - the reason for the trip, the rest of us chilled, played badminton, walked around the dams and visited the local Nyamoro Dairy. It turns out I snore rather loudly as my room mate couldn't take it and went and spent one night at the hotel. On the way home we stopped at World's View, which was surprisingly windy.



My drama was that before we left for Nyanga I'd gone to dinner with friends and on the way home we saw a house on fire. We went to see if we could help in any way and saw it was an elderly man standing in his garden with the domestic workers. It looked like he'd lost everything so I contacted Bambazonke to see if people could chip in to help him out. Well this well intended gesture seriously backfired as i first got an angry call from his daughter demanding to know who exactly I was and what organisation before saying they didn't need any help. I therefore told everyone who responded to my petition there was no longer a need. This week I got a really rude text message from the son saying how dare I infringe on their privacy and he was reporting me to the police for fraud for my request on Bambazonke. I am a bit affronted as it was meant with the best intent and I didn't get a thank you, instead just verbal abuse.

I had my last day of term with my grade one and my 9 year old yesterday. For the grade one I had a meeting with his parents. I told them about a particularly hard lesson on Tuesday when my student was aggressive and kept screaming and getting very worked up. The parents just said he gets like that and then tried to say they think he's being lazy. This along with not being allowed sick leave have made me decide to give my notice. I feel reluctant to give up on my student and my stubborn side doesn't want to let go but it is not a healthy situation for me.

My exciting news is that I will be visiting England again in August. I have one of my best friend's wedding just outside Paris and will then try see people in England. Now just have to see how to have spending money with the whole bond note situation here but will make a plan.



Went to Lin Barrie's exhibition at The Studio last night which was an enjoyable evening. She had also  painted on ceramics at The Studio. I got my bowl back that I painted at the depression support group meeting. It still didn't come out exactly like it was supposed to but was better than last time. Tonight I'm going to the Dance Trust of Zim show at Twin Rivers School. I spent this afternoon helping my form 3 with questions on the book Spies. He hadn't read the chapter we were doing so I gave him a bit of talk that he can't do literature if he doesn't read the material. Tomorrow there's a Chamber Orchestra concert at Arundel.

Lin Barrie's art and ceramics for wild dogs conservation.

My second attempt of pottery painting at The Studio.


No comments:

Post a Comment