Saturday 15 February 2014

Into the World of Work

Well I started my new job on Monday the 3rd of February. For the time being I'm working in the office in town but I am supposed to go out to Marondera in March (for the moment for a week) and will see from there. To be honest the first week was a bit overwhelming for me. It is quite daunting trying to see what I can do in terms of coming up with research projects and making what has already been done in terms of data collection more scientific. I have looked up lots of literature on rhino and elephant training and ecology. It is a bit of a challenge trying to think of what can be done with what are very much domesticated animals. The rhinos get led out of an enclosure each day to go walk around and graze and at lunchtime are fed cattle cubes for the tourists. There is a bit of research on zoo kept rhinos in America and quite a bit on different techniques for training elephants but the conditions in the game park where I am are quite unique.

This week was a bit better. I have made contact with someone who did the initial elephant training and I felt a little bit more on top of things. Working in an office with other people has its upsides and the others in the office are pleasant. On Valentines all the ladies were given a red rose which was sweet and the directors treated us all to pizza for lunch. My main boss will be in on Monday and we're supposed to sit down and discuss things then. Hopefully it goes well. Still have to ask them for my contract and about being paid. This hasn't really been discussed again so I need to try be assertive and try bring it up tactfully.

All a bit of a learning curve and an adjustment to working a full day. Will see what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment