Tuesday 25 February 2014

Social Life in Harare

This past weekend turned out being a highly social one with a number of engagements at different places. I ended my week at a BirdLife Zimbabwe meeting discussing plans for water bird counts around the country for Wetlands International. My new job will involve trying to conduct one of these out in Wedza. The chairman leading the meeting had a pedantic British accent and to stress how something had been last minute used the interesting expression of "like a murder in a television drama" or something to that effect.

After BirdLife, I joined my Mum at the International School TGIF social in a lovely garden belonging to one of the staff at H.I.S.. I loved the interesting collection of textured foliage in the garden and saw vulturine guinea fowl for the first time ever. From the social I then dropped my Mum at home and proceeded to meet up with friends at the usually popular wine bar, Blue@2 in Avondale. We seemed to have picked the wrong evening though as it was surprisingly quiet. We opted to go to the Reps Theatre Members Pub where one of my friend's boyfriend, Kevin Hanson, a well known local thespian was singing and playing sax. My one friend has never met him and as prank she decided to go up to him and pretend to be an ardent admirer who disconcertingly knew that he loved Winnie the Pooh, that he lived in Monavale and that she was his biggest fan. He managed to handle it well but admitted it did unnerve him. It was very funny to watch. As punishment we were all coerced into joining in the karaoke much to my horror.

On Saturday I met up with friends who are teachers and were on half term break for coffee at The Cottage. I love the landscaping of the gardens there and it has a quaint rustic feel which adds to the charm. After coffee I then had lunch with Polish friends and we watched the Polish speed skating teams compete in the Sochi Olympics. I then went on to a braai or barbecue at my friend Lucy's. She and her parents had decked the garden out with an eclectic assortment of lamps and candles which made for a very romantic atmosphere around the bonfire which we braaied on.


On Sunday we had baptisms at the Base Church followed by a family fun day. I spent time with the Smith Family whose daughter Amy has just come back after a second round of major surgery to straighten her spine. See Amy's page on http://amysmithtrust.org/ Amy is my hero and is one of the bravest people I know, even though she's only ten.

In the evening I had a meeting to discuss the Harare wetland cause and then went to go watch the closing of the Sochi Olympics with a friend.

Next weekend will be busy too, with the launch of the new BirdLife Zimbabwe website ( see http://www.birdlifezimbabwe.org/), a farewell party for one of the US marines, a book illusrating course in Glen Lorne and then a tea party. I do well when I'm out and about though.

No comments:

Post a Comment