Friday 5 February 2016

Dodging the police and busyness

This week feels like it has whizzed past. I teach four mornings a week at the home school in Mount Pleasant and then on Thursday mornings I have my Chinese lady Yalin. In the afternoons I tutor some Harare International Students and then two girls from Bishopslea. I think I enjoy my private tutoring most and I have had interesting conversational English lessons with Yalin discussing politics and Chinese geography and culture. I was amazed when she thought Zimbabwe allowed a lot of freedom of speech and observed human rights. I guess China could be worse. Saying that Yalin thinks I should go teach English as a foreign language in China for a year. Will see. She asked if I liked living in cities. I replied I do as long as there are gardens, parks and trees. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many of those in Chinese cities.

My one little girl from Bishoplea's mum gave me the biggest bouquet of multiple bunches of roses I have ever received. I think she works for a florist or rose farm. Was able to give some to friends and still have enough for four vases in our house. Have only been teaching her little girl for two weeks - was blow away.



Roses in transit in the car with the required fire extinguisher.


Have been asked to be a friend's baby's godmother. Feel very honoured and makes me realise I'm a grown up. Popped in to visit my friend and her baby yesterday. On the way opted to not drive down Edinburgh Road as the police were standing waiting just round the bend. I would rather not stop if I can help it as they now have a ridiculous list of things you have to have and will make you wait and show all of them whilst they look for any possible way of fining you. Today I went to Big Sky to get the new requirement of larger reflective triangles (the previous size is now not accepted - grrrrr! There were five of us who were having to buy them when I went in). I also had to get honeycomb reflectors - the previous plain ones aren't adequate). So irritating and frustrating. I just don't want to have to argue with the police and be threatened and harassed if I can help it but you drive around Harare nervous you're going to run into them round the next corner.

My Mum and I went to home group on Wednesday. Was good to connect again. I am feeling a bit dry spiritually and am questioning. Feels like depression has made my heart harden a bit.

Tomorrow there's a big rugby match with the South African Bulls and Cheetahs playing on Zim soil. Afraid I'm not a big fan though although it might be fun. Thinking of going to a new place called the Jam Tree (in the old Mount Pleasant Sports Club) with friends at 4 as they'll have djs playing. Am then going to a play at Reps Theatre called The Pianist. So tomorrow's quite busy. Sunday I'm doing kids' church again and then there's a classical concert on at Arundel Chapel.


Jam Tree




Harare Chamber Orchestra @ Arundel School Chapel (7 February)Harare Chamber Orchestra presents a concert of chamber music at Arundel School Chapel on Sunday, 7 February, starting at 3.00pm
Entrance $5. (Students free)
Refreshments will be served after the concert by our patron: The Honorary Austrian Consul Dr Djordjevic.
Handel: Sonata No 3 for violin and harpsichord
Mozart: Quartet for flute and strings K285
Beethoven: Sonata Op5 No 1 for piano and cello 
Soloists:
Jeanette Micklem - Piano
Nina Crowhurst - Flute
Cabby Stirling and Abigail Macy - Violin
Michael Peto - Viola
Amy Macy - Cello
Carolyn Peto - Harpsichord

No comments:

Post a Comment