Friday 6 May 2016

HIFA, bee stings and bond notes

So this year due to a number of factors HIFA (the Harare International Festival of the Arts) didn't have it's usual week long festival with all art forms but instead are having nine mini festivals for different art genres. Last weekend they had a classical music one at Saint George's College. We went along to Baroque 2000 from South Africa, the Harare Philharmonic Orchestra, the opera gala featuring four South African singers and one local Zimbabwean soprano and then the Spanish guitarist Rafael Serrallet. I also got coerced into going to a workshop on how to go about managing a festival such as HIFA and the business side of it which was interesting. There will be another mini theatre festival next week. Unfortunately I will miss some of it as I will be manning a stand with friends at the Wild Geese Art Festival. Printed some of my photos to exhibit today (this weekend I need to finish painting some pieces and mount work on card).


Here's a slightly shaky snippet of Bongiwe Nakani singing from Carmen at the HIFA opera gala.

After stressing about using an interactive white board to give a demo lesson at St Johns as part of my interview for possibly teaching bio in the third term I got an email saying that they no longer require someone. Found some useful youtube tutorials though. I have got some more work though with Imire and there might be some consulting work on water resources. The home school started again this week but as yet the one remaining student hasn't paid fees for part of last term. I got stung by a bee at the International School and had an allergic reaction to it with my ear swelling and making me look like a lopsided Big Ears or Big Ear to be precise. Still taking antihistamines and feeling a little fragile. Must carry a bee kit with me.


The other big event this week was the announcement that there will be an introduction of bond notes in an attempt to ease the severe cash shortage we are facing with the US dollar. People are panicking a bit as it will mean we will be operating with a currency that is not recognised outside Zim's borders and there is the fear that it will evolve into the Zim dollar. There is a part of me that wonders if now is not the time to leave while you still have foreign currency and I am suddenly reluctant to spend the US dollars I have. Have to just have faith all will be well. Although apparently when times get tough in Zim people still buy Belgian chocolate. Went to Veldemeer's today in Arundel and they had sold out of pastries by mid-day. When in financial crisis eat more Belgian pastries it seems.





If you want to have a look at my photos for Wild Geese go to this link on Tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment