Friday 15 September 2017

It's the weekend - happy dance!


Well it wasn't too strenuous a week, as I only started with the home schoolers on Wednesday and haven't got going with afternoon tutoring yet. I have lost one of my students for tutoring from last term but I had an interview to teach two teenagers from the French School, English language and literature. I have a trial lesson with them next Tuesday - will have to do some prep for that this weekend, read the syllabi and get organised. Planning to go past Textbooks for Africa on Churchill Road just now (just hope I don't encounter the police along there - am having to get my mind into gear on that front and plan my routes around town to avoid the police wherever possible).

With my four year old that I home school we've decided to maybe give Jolly Phonics a break for the moment. My friend who has done educational therapy following the US National Institute for Learning Development reckons phonics should only be introduced when you're six or seven as your brain only really grasps phonetics then. My four year old is a lot happier not doing phonics for now. Maybe can try again a bit later. He is crazy about dinosaurs now too and really enjoyed the book Gigantosaurus by Jonny Duddle that I got in England. We'll see how my other Chinese four year old likes it next week, when I start with him again.



Had my first personal training session today since I got back. I had forgotten I was in credit for one class which was nice. My trainer was very kind and did stretch today and we'll ease back to things - I had pictured having to do weights and cardio at the level I was at before I left on my first day, so it was a big relief. She was delighted that I had managed to lug a 25 kg suitcase up stairs in the Paris metro while I was away. I don't think I would have managed at my previous fitness level. I did have a really kind stranger come alongside me though at the Strasbourg Saint-Denis station, who hoisted my bag up two flights of steps and onto the metro - chivalry is alive and well in Paris.



Apart from work this weekend I have my depression support group meeting at a new coffee shop in Avondale tomorrow morning. There's a party at Reps Theatre that I've been invited to and then there's the Garden Show at Parklands. I have also got to try and paint a telephone box in Greystone Park. A friend has been given permission and has the paint. I have been given it as a blank canvas to brighten up - thinking of doing a larger version of my sunflower painting from last year. So I guess it's going to be quite a busy weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment