Wednesday 20 September 2017

Painting msasas and Chinese gastronomy


I went for my first oil painting class with Sarah Fynn today which was very cathartic and I learnt all sorts of things. We tried our hand at screen printing using rollers and oil paint and etching onto these. I then worked into mine (still trying to decide if I have finished or not). The other ladies were very sweet. One was visiting home and is a jewellery designer in Cape Town. 

Well yesterday I had my most challenging Chinese delicacy to date for tea after my lesson with my four year old. I was presented with what I thought was a chicken wing (I was correct, but it was completely black and the outside was fairly gelatinous). My student's granny served it to me and I got the feeling she thought this was a real treat. I am not a huge fan of chicken wings at the best of times but I felt I had to try. My four year old tucked into his with gusto. His mum who is back from China came in and saw what I was eating and she laughed loudly, saying she couldn't believe her mum had given me that. I still felt I had to eat it. It actually didn't taste too bad once I got past the colour and texture. The outside was a bit like chicken jelly and the inner meat was almost like biltong. I ate as much as I could and then took a large swig of what I thought was milk that I had been given but it turned out to be lacto! 



No comments:

Post a Comment