Wednesday 20 June 2018

Bring on 10.30 tomorrow morning



Today has been a little frenetic. My prac using quadrats in the school playground went well and it got my kids thinking which was great. I then got them to write me a tall tale for creative writing and let them exaggerate as much they liked just this once. Some of them really threw themselves into it and I got some of my longest essays to date (now I have to mark them, hmmmm). My one student, the same one who did the Michael Jackson medley at home time last week, decided he was Steve Urkel today. How he knows about Steve Urkel flummoxed me, but when I said was that who he was, he said how did I know? 



I was supposed to have taught my Chinese five year old online at 2 but my head needed me to work on reports to send to high schools for our grade sevens. I got so cosy sitting in the sunshine that only comes onto my desk in the afternoon, that I completely forgot I was supposed to have met a friend for coffee. It was only when my mum phoned to say she was on her way that I recollected and quickly packed up. At Bottom Drawer we saw Pastor Evan Mawarire and he came over and I gave him a hug. My friend who is doing research here is thinking about collecting memorabilia of political propaganda. He already has an ED scarf and is now after a suit made out of fabric with ED's face on it. He wants to wear it to give a lecture on Zim politics when he gets back to the UK. On the radio driving home I listened to an interview of one of the independent presidential candidates, Noah Manyika. (Here are all the presidential candidates - all 19 of them). He didn't directly answer how he plans on solving the cash crisis. I don't know if anyone really knows how they are going to do that. My class is doing money in maths this week and I must admit I'm not sure which currency we should be working with. A few didn't grasp that four lots of 10c is not $40 so I think we need to play with fake money.



From tea I went on to teach my French student. At his request at the end of the lesson we started trying to translate Adele's song Hello into French - harder than you think. Found the French version below on Youtube which definitely does it's own variation. This was after we looked at a passage on toucans. I was asked to then go help the person interning at the church I used to go to with her TOEFL assignment. She had to do a lesson plan on the present continuous. Been a while since I did CELTA and had to think about eliciting information from students and the like.



I have to prepare two lessons for tomorrow and have then got a quiz for my class to do to see if they are kinaesthetic, auditory or visual learners ... and then it's half term!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment