Wednesday 7 November 2018

Exams





This week has actually been rather laid back with my class writing exams - means I don't have multiple subjects of marking each day and having prepared the exam papers already there's no lesson prep - a breeze. Next week is going to be a little bit of a killer as I have parent consultations every afternoon and will have a full morning of teaching. Cracking on with reports as have to have them ready for Monday. My one naughty boy pulled out all stops and came first in mental. I think he surprised himself as he burst into tears and came and gave me a big hug (was a rather rewarding teacher moment I will cherish). My other rather mischievous boy got full marks for his comprehension and although didn't burst into tears, got quite emotional too. This morning they all finished before break and so I read them the Giraffe, the Pelly and Me and I had a captive audience. Word got out and one of the younger classes said at the end of the day they were waiting for me to read them a story.



Met up with a good friend for coffee after I taught my Chinese six year old online. (My six year old, who had drawn an elaborate treasure map to his house in China, is semi expecting me in China tomorrow to go find his hidden treasure - I had to explain it's not that easy to get to China at a day's notice, as much as I would love to). My friend who I had coffee with said good bye to me and then shouted across the coffee shop's car park, did I want weed?! She meant pond weed - oh dear! Last time I was at this particular coffee shop one of the students from school suddenly materialised. He is one of the boys who wants to attract aliens to the school playground. I have shown him the trailer for the documentary about the aliens that visited Ariel School. He wants to know what the students there did to attract aliens. His smelly cheese idea doesn't seem to be working.



It was my last, possibly ever, lesson with my form four and we tried to tackle some past paper questions on Macbeth and then an unseen poem. Have taught him for two and a half years now.

To My Mother

Most near, most dear, most loved and most far,
Under the window where I often found her
Sitting as huge as Asia, seismic with laughter,
Gin and chicken helpless in her Irish hand,
Irresistible as Rabelais, but most tender for
The lame dogs and hurt birds that surround her -
She is a procession no one can follow after
But be like a little dog following a brass band.

She will not glance up at the bomber, or condescend
To drop her gin and scuttle to a cellar,
But lean on the mahogany table like a mountain
Whom only faith can move, and so I send
O all my faith, and all my love to tell her
That she will move from mourning into morning. 

Fuel seems more available but things are still scarce in supermarkets. Making staff tea for school last Friday was a little challenging as there was no flour and the only oil was $29! Veldemeers had some croissants on special at $2 each so I got some of those, some meringues and used muffin mix to make brownies. Pick'N'Pay is cheaper but tends to have long queues whereas Spar and Food Lovers are more expensive but you don't have to queue for as long.





No comments:

Post a Comment