Thursday 17 January 2019

What is normal?



We returned to school today but I only had half my class come back. Most weren't able to get to school as they had no fuel, as it is now incredibly scarce. Only a matter of time until us teachers also don't have any. There is the possibility of a mass demonstration through town tomorrow in protest. I don't know if it will come off though and if people will be brave enough to. Although at this point I think people are really desperate. The lady who cleans our school and brings me my coffee (for which I am always so grateful) didn't come in today. She lives in Hatcliffe. I tried to go shopping in Pick'n'Pay at Village Walk at lunchtime to make stuff for staff tea tomorrow but aborted that idea when I saw the queues (AND the armed police - with AKs at the ready - supposedly to prevent looting - I wasn't sticking around in case that happened). I made a quick contingency plan and went and bought meringues and fruit cake from Veldemeers. I did first check that the prices on display weren't in US dollars - just checking!! - they weren't luckily. The shop assistant there also lives in Hatcliffe and she said Veldemeers had to organise for her to be collected for work today as the mini bus taxis weren't running. She said people have been going missing.



A friend who is a human rights lawyer here is organising for fundraising to help assist people who have been arrested and providing them with legal aid, food in prison and medical treatment. If anyone would like to assist get in touch with me and I can provide you with more details. There are hundreds of people who have been arrested over the last few days and some of them have been badly beaten.



Driving home today we came across a stray dog wandering hopelessly along King George Road and Connaught. Managed to get it to run up what turned out to be a really long drive way. There were all sorts of wonderful fungi growing amongst the vegetation and I got quite excited whilst trying to herd the dog to what seemed to be its home. Tried ringing the gate intercom but couldn't raise anyone, so I rang a bell on the gate which brought out two other dogs but from their interaction with the stray dog it was evident that the dog definitely belonged there. Still no human appeared though. It then started to bucket with rain and I was still trying to keep the dog from running back down the drive to the busy road below. Finally, after becoming thoroughly soaked the owner eventually came out and it was indeed their dog - happy end to the story. I was worried that if we took the dog to the 24 hour vet on East Rd the owner might not have access to social media, with it being blocked currently, and the dog may be put down. But thankfully not!




No comments:

Post a Comment