Wednesday 16 January 2019

When the whole country is without internet



After heading home early on Monday we spent the next two days of the stay away quietly at home. I woke up yesterday and found that Facebook wasn't opening but up until 9.30 am, I could still get on whatsapp and email. Then everything went down and we lost contact with the outside world and what was happening here in Zim. I used the time to do some much needed clearing and marking. My sister in the UK only became aware of what was going on in Zim today and had to text message (we did at least still have that, although it costs a lot more). We were able to get home without hindrance on Monday but my good friend Nina who lives in Hatfield was cut off from her child due to barricades and squirmishes with police on Chiremba Road. I was told that there had been shootings in Epworth and checked with our gardner if his family was alright. Luckily they were.



It looks like we will go back to school tomorrow but who knows what the rest of this week holds and how we are all supposed to continue with prices now three and half times what they were. I was supposed to teach my student in China today but had no internet. They of course know all about having a clamp down on the internet there and completely understood. Seems Facebook, Instagram and Youtube are still down.




No comments:

Post a Comment