Friday 18 January 2019

Shopping is now quite stressful



We had school again yesterday and most of my students returned, although everyone is still struggling to find fuel. The lady who cleans our classrooms and brings me coffee was able to get in from Hatcliffe. She did say people are being beaten by the police in Hatcliffe. Turns out our head loves Christmas cake and date loaf, so my offerings scavenged from Veldemeers for tea went down really well and I gave everyone sugar highs from the meringues. The internet went down again though. Had heard a rumour it might from midnight Friday morning and sure enough we were all without it again until about 4 pm Friday. Am currently using it to prep for next week as you never know when it is going to go again. There is talk of another stayaway from Wednesday to Friday this coming week.



On the way home we only passed two fuel queues on Second Street which were both ridiculously long. Suddenly decided it might be worth trying to get groceries in. I gave up on Thursday, what with the armed policemen and queues to the back of the supermarket in Village Walk. I decided to go to Fruit and Veg in Avondale as usually they don't have long queues as you pay more. When I first went in there weren't many people and quite a few shelves were empty. A few people were trying to figure out what things cost as the prices didn't match up with things. Slowly the shop started filling and you sensed people were feeling a bit panicky and started filling their trollies with things like canned foods and pasta (I was doing the same). The management suddenly decided to pull down the door to the entrance and weren't letting any more people in. I quickly paid for my groceries and then went across to Bon Marche to try get things that Fruit & Veg didn't have. Walking across the car park some of the vendors came and asked me to buy things. They were pretty desperate so I agreed to buy some mangoes and potatoes when I came out, paying by Ecocash. In Bon Marche, Ecocash was apparently not working but luckily they could still accept swipe even though the internet was down. I didn't really want to pay in cash. The queues were much longer in Bon Marche and people were really stockpiling their trolleys there. I happened to look at how much Bombay Sapphire now costs - over $100!! And coffee - Nescafe, which is the cheapest is $46 - noooooooooooo!!!!




I got home and was actually exhausted even though it has technically only been a three day week. I think the background anxiety has taken its toll. We are going to try get fuel today but otherwise keeping quiet at home. I am teaching my Chinese student online just now if the internet stays on.


No comments:

Post a Comment