Monday 15 March 2021

First day back and murder in the neighbourhood

 It was actually a feeling of relief when school finally kicked off back in the classroom today. I had mixed feeling this weekend but when we actually just got on with it and got back to proper teaching it felt so much better and you realise it is so much easier explaining things face to face and interacting and getting feedback. I'm going to feel quite sad leaving my current class in two weeks time as they are really nice kids and I am enjoying having only six students while it lasts. We did art today and they made robots, and then instead of swimming we played a board game friends had given me on survival skills. At the end of the day my Russian student gave me a box of Russian chocolates. The packaging is entirely in Russian so I have no idea what they are called. They were a sort of marshmallow coated in dark chocolate. Never been given chocolates on my first day. As a friend put it, let's see if I'm still popular at the end of term. (Although technically that's in two and a half weeks time, still unsure on the whole private school term debacle).

Had fun picnicking at Ewanrigg Botanical Gardens yesterday. My friend Lucy didn't realise how far it is and halfway along the road off Enterprise she started wondering if she had enough petrol! We got there and back though, although we kept my friend Claire and her mum waiting as we thought we were close but still had a little bit more to go. Lucy (the Borrowdale Madame) announced that her neighbourhood had become dodgier of late. Something out of Desperate Housewives has happened, which is actually quite a sad tale. I watched the St George's online mass in the evening and it turns out an old boy murdered his brother, there seems to have been drugs involved, and the mother and gardener helped bury the brother in their front garden in Borrowdale. It all came to light when the brother then had a car accident and had to be put on Pethidine and started uttering things about it and the doctor on duty told the police. A bit horrific and hard to think of in Harare!

No comments:

Post a Comment