Thursday 18 March 2021

Last weekend feels like years ago

 Almost at the end of the first week back to face to face classroom teaching. I can't believe we've only been back a week. Feels like way longer and the stuff I did last weekend feels like a lifetime ago. I will be taking the other class next week. Did a fairly comprehensive (well I hope it is), list of instructions for my replacement. I find out tomorrow what I'll be doing for the other class. One of the students isn't back at school as his parents don't want him to be yet, so I have to prepare a whole separate work pack for him. Will have slightly more students to teach. After this week I only have one and half weeks left at school, before I start my new job. I will be sad to leave and as I said previously, was just beginning to really enjoy my current class.

Having to explain a lot of English words to my Russian student. Yesterday it was the difference between engaged and married. One of my other students decided to add their two cents, and according to him, when you are engaged, you tell the other person that you like them. I had to adjust this definition a little. Another thing that came up was voice mail boxes. I tried to explain that in the past there was no WhatsApp, and you could only text, phone or leave a voice message. This blew my students' minds - no WhatsApp - how did we cope. I also said there was no WI-FI. Another shattering revelation. I decided not to go as far back as dialling and just a phone call and landlines. I think they would have thought I belonged to the dinosaurs then.

Went to see my personal trainer and good friend this afternoon. She has baby tortoises which are just too cute! Her little girl is amazing. She can already say "baby tortoise" and she is only a year, one month old. She can also fit puzzle pieces onto a wooden puzzle and follow fairly detailed instructions. Her paediatrician says she is very advanced for her age.

Tomorrow is Friday - hooray! I teach my ZIMSEC O Level student English online tomorrow afternoon. Seeing a friend on Saturday, going for sushi at Vanilla Moon on Sunday and getting some help on using Microsoft Teams. Also might do family games on JackBox. Two weeks until Easter. This year is an odd one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment