Tuesday 16 March 2021

Possibly changing teaching hats again

 I'm really tired today, more so than yesterday. We did fun things like art and a board game yesterday, today was more hard work, so I guess that's why. It's a different kind of tired to online teaching tired. I finished house sitting today and was given Cote D'or chocolate, so am sitting munching yummy chocolate and recovering. I think I mentioned that yesterday my Russian student gave me chocolate for the first day. It was a sort of marshmallow covered in dark chocolate. Apparently it is Russian tradition that you give your teacher a box of chocolates on your first day of school each term. Maybe I should go teach English in Russia. It seems Russian children are taught to hold their teachers in almost the same level of esteem as the Chinese and are very polite. It makes such a pleasant change from some of my Zimbabwean students that I had to deal with last year. May my Russian student influence the rest of my class in a positive way.

Having said all that, it seems this week may actually be the last with my class. My colleague who teaches grade 5 had an emergency last week with her son, whom I taught for the last previous three years. They thought he had a burst appendix but it has turned out to be a rare gut disease and he had to have major major surgery today, poor boy. I might therefore be taking his mum's class next week and the person replacing me next term will take over my class early. Not quite sure yet what work I'll need to prepare for the different class. Will be sad to say good bye already to my class as we were just connecting but might be better for their new teacher to get familiar with them and thier learning challenges now.

Saw my high school biology teacher on Saturday and she has very kindly said I can have all her biology teaching material as she no longer needs it. It includes slides and all the A Level biology practicals. Very valuable but I've just got to figure out where in our house I can store it as there are boxes and boxes of it and our house feels like it's bursting at the seams. Felt honoured though that my teacher said she couldn't think of a better person to give it all to.

No comments:

Post a Comment