Sunday 12 February 2017

Quizzing, St Giles and line dancing



We really enjoyed the violin evening at Casa Mia last night. The food was good, the music pleasant and we were entertained by stories from some of the International School staff. Despite the restaurant being more than fully booked out the service was excellent and we didn't wait long.

This morning I went with a friend to a quiz in the Reps Theatre bar. The group we were with take it quite seriously and many of them go to at least one quiz a week at places like the Mustard Seed, Blue@2 and Amanzi. Many of the questions were pretty darn hard, for instance where does Harare's road Rotten Row derive it's name from? Apparently there is a Rotten Row in Hyde Park in London that was originally called Route du Roi but the commoners changed it. I was chuffed to answer two questions for the group - what Operation Barbarossa was (my history teacher Miss Machine would be proud) and then which month the Titanic sank in - April (I don't quite know why I know that particular fact).





From Reps my mum and I went to go visit a friend's grandfather at the rehabilitation hospital, St Giles. I haven't been there since I was in my last two years of high school and used to go every Saturday morning as part of Rotary's Interact to play with children in the paediatric hospital and school. The playing field we used to play on was a little overgrown but the hospital itself was pretty clean and decent. I was reminded that I don't think I could be a healthcare professional as hospitals do freak me out a bit and after my own experiences they bring back memories. I think my friend's grandfather was happy to see us though.

We were about to head home after that when we were invited to go meet up with people from church to practise a line dance for a variety show. Luckily it's fairly straightforward and we got it pretty quickly. Am now home prepping for the week. It's half term next weekend so I won't take Ira in the mornings on Friday and Monday. I will probably still have my afternoon students though.


No comments:

Post a Comment