Thursday 13 July 2017

An interesting take on challah



My little Chinese four year old gave me another gem today while we were having our usual high tea after his lesson. We each had a Chinese bun and he proceeded to take his and said it was challah (he goes to a Jewish nursery school). He covered it with a white napkin and said he must now sing. I was waiting for Hebrew but instead he decided Twinkle Twinkle Little Star was appropriate.

Tomorrow my mum, my friend Lucy and I are setting off for Kariba until Sunday. We are a little apprehensive of the police road blocks that await us. On the way back from La Rochelle we were fined twice. Hopefully we'll be lucky. Lucy has been to Big Sky to check her car is police compliant. I won two nights at Caribbea Bay from a raffle at a Dance Trust of Zimbabwe show earlier this year. We are going to hire a boat for Saturday afternoon.



Went in with a friend yesterday to try and get the re-entry sticker for permanent residents on foreign passports at Immigration. As we were walking to Linquenda House we saw a headline saying the MDC protest was going ahead. This was the first we'd heard about a protest. We carried on though and joined the queue. I got to the front eventually only to be told that I needed to provide school certificates and a water bill (even though I told them it was in my mum's name - they said I still needed to bring it to show I have lived here, sigh). This meant I had to go back today with these. Yesterday the part of town we were in seemed pretty dead and there was no sign of the demonstrations although on Facebook later we saw footage of people burning tyres somewhere. When I went back today they luckily were happy with what I brought and I then proceeded to queue to pay US$100. Thankfully the swipe machine was working - I really didn't want to part with that in cash. They turned several people in front of me away who were trying to pay with bond notes - ridiculous that they won't accept those. I now have to go back on Monday to get my passport back with the sticker hopefully in it. I do feel a tad bit uncomfortable leaving my passport there as people's files do go missing. Just have to hope and believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment