Tuesday 14 November 2017

In thunder, lightning, or in rain?



After helping my form three student with Macbeth, today's events seem a bit like the brewing storm of Act 1. We are still having car trouble and my mechanic phoned me to update me on what was happening at around 5 this evening. He seemed agitated which is unusual and he cut across explaining the car's progress to ask where we were and told me we needed to get home urgently. I didn't really understand what he was talking about but he said he was coming from Kaguve Street and that there were major problems in town. It left me feeling quite apprehensive so I asked on Facebook if people knew what was going on. A friend in South Africa sent me a Reuters article and said it looked like we were having a coup. People have been speculating this might happen since Mnangagwa was fired as Vice President last week and fled the country.

Well all was calm in the northern suburbs and I went to the quiz. The sounds of the crickets and frogs from the Highlands Vlei filled my ears and the ishwas flocked in their multitudes to the street lights on the drive there. Lightning flashed across the horizon and a thunderstorm moved closer. At the quiz people had mixed opinions on what was happening and responded to messages from people overseas checking on the situation. Things are definitely at a tipping point politically and the economy is on its knees with the shortage of cash and parallel markets. Grace could definitely be a Lady Macbeth. Let's just hope it doesn't become as bloody as the bard's play does.



No comments:

Post a Comment