Friday 3 November 2017

More art

Painting by Mercy Moyo, Zimbabwean artist.

At art this week I learned about an artist I hadn't come across before, Mercy Moyo. She does great portraits and I love the way she collages in fabric in some of her pieces and uses her brush strokes to great effect to create contrast and movement in her work. In our lesson we were attempting a landscape from an aerial view. Mine is still a work in progress - it is not quite how I want it, although Sarah suggested I stop so I don't overwork it. For next week I've got to prep to create an extreme high vantage view. I possibly may use the book "You are here: Around the world in 92 minutes" by Chris Hadfield for ideas. It was a gift to my mum and I from my sister and it has images taken from the International Space Station of Earth. I used it in my lesson with my five year old today before I went on to George and the dragon.



This afternoon I went round to see two of Mercy's paintings that one of the people in my art group has just bought. As an art group we may go to this group member's farm in Mvurwi to paint. There is also talk of possibly putting on an exhibition. I'd better complete some of my unfinished pieces that I'm not happy with.

Piece from Wednesday of an aerial landscape. Still to finish.

Tomorrow I have a workshop until 2 at Bishopslea on learning differences in children and how you can support them. At four I've got people coming round for a braai so I have been doing some cooking this evening. Going grocery shopping I noticed how prices have gone up and also things that are disappearing from the supermarket shelves. I did bump into several people I knew though which is one of things that makes Zim, Zim - you know people and you cross paths with people you know well daily and even if you don't know people you still chat to them in the supermarket and they are generally friendly. Just seen though that there has been the first arrest of someone for posting something political on social media. It was on Twitter, which is quite a public platform, but still!


No comments:

Post a Comment