Saturday 28 September 2019

Of bush babies, the Buddhist Temple and ZESA on a Saturday



I was so pleased when it reached 1 o'clock yesterday and it was the weekend! I enjoyed teaching a bit better this week. The previous week I had a fairly big down and it was a real struggle to get out of bed each day and get to school. My better mental state made it a lot easier this week, although my class has not been behaving that well and I've had to move one student right by my desk for now. It looks like I will be taking one student for NILD. His mum thanked me for caring and wanting her child to do well, which really warmed the cockles of my heart. Hopefully it will help her child and I remember everything.



We unusually had power most of today. It is a tricky thing as you are wary of starting things knowing the electricity could go off again without warning. I did manage to do quite a whack of ironing though and some school work. We also could have a cooked meal for a change. Not sure if we'll have electricity tomorrow but one makes hay while the ZESA is on.



I have been asked to house sit for another person in Monavale who is going over to Northern Ireland before BREXIT. She lives on the property of the Buddhist temple and has a very interesting home made up of rondavels around a central court yard. Apparently she has to let visiting lamas use it and move out temporarily when they do. I will be looking after her two dogs and cat and ... feed bananas to the bush babies in the evening. My cousin Julia's daughter will be delighted by this and I will do my best to get a photo, as she refers to me as the "Bush Baby Lady" from Zimbabwe. Yes, as Julia says, I am never going to lose that nickname, even though I can't quite remember what I did to earn it. Apparently they come at dusk and you can get quite close to them on the Buddhist prayer platform in the garden. On Sundays people from the Buddhist society come to the temple and I have to try prevent the one dog from stealing their shoes. I will be there for about three weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment