Wednesday 4 September 2019

Things happen in threes



Just sorted the sewage leak at home out when our car suddenly developed a knocking sound. Took it along to a reputable repair garage and they kept it for several hours yesterday to try ascertain what the problem was. Well I was charged RTGS 250 for that and the quote for fixing everything that is wrong was for RTGS 16 000!! Um, even in US dollars that is steep. Have phoned around and got other quotes and my personal trainer's husband who is a good car mechanic, also had a look and we think we can get a bit below that but it is our own fault for not having the car serviced recently. But a big gulp.

I am busy trying to prepare for next week now. I am back to having fourteen students which is going to keep me very busy and increase my marking load. Last year when I had that many I had a teaching assistant. There will be someone coming back to help but I need to get all my ducks in a row. Not sure how I am going to fit in doing NILD at this point without burning out. We'll see how it all goes.



In between everything am helping arrange Mrs Sternslow's funeral on Saturday. Her daughter arrives today from South Africa and another friend and I are trying to help where we can. It is quite an undertaking. Never had to think about all these details before. The Convent Old Girls kindly donated towards it and a lady in Zambia who taught with Mrs Sternslow is helping with flowers.



The quiz went well last night at the Mustard Seed. My team surprised ourselves and won. There were questions from the new Cambridge subject thinking skills. My brain was quite tired so it hurt trying to to think through logic and maths but they were good and a bit of a challenge. I learnt a new penguin fact that the most northerly colony of penguins is on the Galapagos Islands.



I am a teeny bit manic. Am running with it for now as it is giving me energy to tackle school work and preparation but will see. If I have more trouble sleeping I will up my lithium. At least it leaves me on an upbeat mood for now. One always worries though about the potential low that could follow. I need to be able to get out of bed for school. Finally watched The Darkest Hour and I love the one scene that makes reference to the fact that Churchill suffered from depression. He had gone into a low and his wife rallies him, saying he needs to find that inner strength he had used previously to pull himself out of depression to tackle Dunkirk. Thought it was profound.


No comments:

Post a Comment