Thursday 19 March 2020

Tick bite in the time of Corona



I have an unplanned self-lockdown in the form of contracting tick bite fever. Think I got it from going through long grass on the Groombridge vlei in the quest to photograph the wild cosmos flowers. I did pull off a tick at the time and the incubation time fits. Now I know what it is I recognise the symptoms of light headedness and feeling icky. I have had it before but seems I have contracted it again. I am on a dose of doxycycline twice a day for the next ten days. Just to add to the fun I have allergies with itchy eyes and throat. My doctor says there are allergic reactions at the moment as well as a common cold. Not great though with all the paranoia over COVID-19.





When I went to see my doctor I did ask if she wanted to see me. It was very eerie in that there was absolutely no one else there which has never happened before. I usually have to wait for an hour. The receptionist was also off sick with a cold. It felt apocalyptic. My doctor does treat a lot of the elderly in old age homes so she needs to stay healthy. She did say she feels the testing facilities for Corona are good. It is at Harare Central Hospital not Wilkins.

I got back to school after seeing the doctor and my class immediately begged me to not ever go away again. They had had my mum watching them during my absence and they had been told off a lot for making noise. It was nice to feel appreciated, especially after their rubbish and rebellion last week. When I told them I had tick bite fever, one boy stepped back and went, "eish!" I promised him it is not contagious. I then had to tell them I wouldn't be at school today and they were distressed they were going to have my mum again. I think it will do them good.



So am home resting. Schools will close early this coming Tuesday, as will all Zim universities. We may have to start preparing online resources quickly. There are lots of educational sites on the internet though that have made their lesson plans freely available. The choir I belong to has decided to stop meeting for now. Most of the members are over 60 so it is a big risk. We've been learning the two pieces below.




No comments:

Post a Comment