Tuesday 4 August 2015

Mind numbing



Met up with my friend this afternoon and got challenged on taking increasing levels of lithium. I do agree that I feel like my emotions have become numbed to an extent but I would rather that than the roller coaster and deep inner despair that I have experienced. My Mum admitted that she too is worried about the lithium being increased but I am on a low dose for now and it will be monitored. My friend also believed that I could come off lithium and live free of medication. I wish this was a possibility but with bipolar one of the key things to being healthy is being good about taking medication and going off it could be more detrimental. Am feeling a little icky today with my higher levels but hope to adjust. If all goes to plan will be weaned off the other medication I have been on and will just be on lithium.

Went on to the Line and Form collaborative exhibition at Gallery Delta. It was a selection of artists using drawing and prints in interesting ways. I liked the use of line by some of the artists and there were some socio-political pieces, a couple on the vendor issue in Zimbabwe and then one titled "Austerity" by Helen Lieros which was on Greece.



Got into conversation with Helen Teede and am going to try visit her studio with my art student. Also entered into a discussion on the whole Cecil the lion debacle. My friend who is also working in the conservation field said that it was a disaster for Zim wilderness areas that Delta Airlines has now refused to carry hunting trophies. She feels that tourism can never match the amount spent on hunting to make other land use of wilderness areas viable. I still feel it is very sad that we have to allow hunting and cannot understand the mentality of shooting things for pleasure. The Livingstone Biweekly makes some valid points here about how hunters favour shooting the prime animals and not those that are weak and struggling. There is also the question of where the money from hunters goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment