Monday 23 October 2017

Mental health and dachshund sitting

Saturday ended up being pretty busy. I had the meet up for the depression support group in the morning. I then went with two friends to buy groceries and toiletries for the patients at the mental health charity Tirivanhu in Ruwa. There are about sixteen patients in the rehabilitation centre there. Some of them have been diagnosed as mentally insane. They live in basic accommodation and raise cows, chickens, turkeys and rabbits that they sell or eat. It was quite an eye opener but they were very grateful for the groceries. Saturday evening I moved in to where I am house sitting and learnt the ropes before the lady I am housesitting for left for Turkey the next day.



I am enjoying the space and it is an interesting house - designed by a Norwegian architecture, it uses space in an aesthetic way. It is nice to also have a pool as it is still baking hot. There will be guests coming and going while I am here and I am enjoying getting to know the house owner's 80 year old aunt who lives at the back of the property. I am also getting to know the two dachshunds, Deeta and Lexi. They are definitely slightly comical dogs to observe. I have been warned to not leave chocolate unattended as it will be snaffled up by them.



Just finished lesson prep for tomorrow. Will be doing sponge painting with my four year old at the home school. With my Chinese five year old, I was requested to do a lesson on submarines after our lesson on pirates today. I have put together something with a very basic concept of upthrust. I have a new student tomorrow afternoon from the International School, whom I will be doing art and English as a second language with. Thinking of doing a story about a wishing tree and then getting her to play with chalk.




No comments:

Post a Comment