Sunday 5 August 2018

Hippo Pools, fluorescent scorpions and spring



Well after a not so great week in the history of Zimbabwe I headed out of town to Hippo Pools, near Shamva for a camping weekend away with friends on Friday. It was a great reminder of why we still live in Zimbabwe and of the good things. I taught my Chinese student on Friday morning and then we headed off on Friday afternoon. When we got out of the car at Umfurudzi National Park a voice called out, "Hello Katy" from the car in front of us. Turned out to be a family I know from Amanzi quizzes. Bumped into a girl I was at school with this morning just before we left too - you still bump into people you know out of town.

The first night was a little uncomfortable camping as the air mattress deflated and I woke up first thing frozen but it was bearable. Some adjustments the following night made for a much better night's sleep. My friend visiting from Germany did an amazing job catering and we went for walks along the river. Last night we went in search of scorpions with a UV light and found two tiny ones. We also took in the breathtaking night sky, with a stunningly beautiful Milky Way - the clearest I have ever seen it, with clouds of constellations arching across the sky. We sat by a small dam in the starlight and the stars were reflected in the water.




On the way home we managed to find a large baobab and the boys climbed through a hole into its centre (I get claustrophobic so wasn't keen). Spring is in the air. It was really rather warm this weekend and the bush was alive with colour with yellow, red and orange leaves - not the msasas but other trees.



Ready to start preparing for next term now and going back through my NILD stuff before the intensive week's residency at the end of the holidays. Have my Chinese student everyday and have just been contacted by another student that I used to teach who is back on holiday from the UK and wants some help. I am packing up my life where I have been house sitting for the last six weeks or so. I have so enjoyed this particular house sit and will miss the Rhodesian ridgebacks. Back to Milton Park from tomorrow and closer to my own doggies. Life continues despite the politics but things do a little dismal politically, I won't lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment