Monday 13 August 2018

Today Monday really is "canceld"



It's been a really good weekend so far and the beauty is it's not over, there are two more days :) Yeeha! My Chinese family has given me today off. I will teach my Chinese 5 year old tomorrow before a birthday picnic in the Botanical Gardens. I think my 5 year old will come with for the picnic - trying to get his family to all come too (I don't know I want to baby sit, although it will be lovely to have him there). The weather is glorious at the moment, with clear, crisp blue skies and warm, but not too hot yet, sunshine. I think I definitely am a little manic but it is making me do some much needed spring cleaning at home, so I need to harness this energy to the full. Am doing a bit of work for school too - nearly finished my plan for next term. Just got to see about comprehensions on Twinkl.



Saturday morning I went to see a lady whose animals I will be checking on in Monavale. She is going to Italy to do a course on homeopathy and she has an amazing collection of herbs in her herb garden - love it! She does however have a resident cobra and has lost a dog to a snake earlier this year - eeeek! I am fine with spiders but not so good with snakes. I will take a torch if I am going early evening. I have been added to the Monavale Whatsapp group as they will let me know if there are any fires - a potential threat to the house I will be checking on. (I have officially become a Monavale hipster/hippy 😛😜😝).



I went from Monavale to the Maasdorp Market and got some super veggies from one of the farm stalls. So nice to have no plastic packaging and they give you a wicker basket to carry your veggies in to the car (and you're buying local!) Had wanted to get some chicken liver pate for Matt but it was sold out already (need to get there early). Went to a farewell of a Ugandan friend who is going to study in Sweden at Jam Tree on Saturday night. Been a while since I went to Jam Tree, I won't lie.




Sunday was really good. Went to mass with Matt at St George's and we went to the pub quiz at Reps (our team came first - yay). Matt came for lunch in our garden and we had fun picking coffee beans off our coffee tree, will see how the coffee turns out. Matt reckons some beans I accidentally left in the oven and I thought burnt, might make a good roast, we'll see.



A friend, Bronwyn, wants to organize TED talks in Harare in October or November on mental health and depression. I am happy to give a talk and help organize. Can maybe try to show the film Loving Vincent concurrently - I haven't forgotten about it. The talk below is really good on bipolar - want to watch Paul Dalio's film Touched by Fire, which is based loosely on the book by Dr Kay Redfield Jamison (who also wrote An Unquiet Mind). Apparently people are being referred to my Facebook group Unquiet Minds by medical people at the Annex - I am really chuffed and it is gaining momentum and awareness. Still so far to go. I might try see if we can have a talk on adolescent depression with the GTLD Network in Zimbabwe (“gifted and talented” students with “learning differences.”). From NILD, depression is a form of learning difficulty as it makes a child "mentally unavailable" to learn.






No comments:

Post a Comment