Thursday 11 October 2018

Medication could be a slight problem



This week has been a little crazy with shops suddenly closing, long queues in supermarkets and at the petrol pumps. Trying to look at the good things and not get weighed down by the negative. Things really hit home today though when I had to go get medication at my usual pharmacy and they said they now only accept US dollars - chete! and many pharmacies have closed. I earn a teeny bit of forex from my Chinese student but this is not going to be sustainable. It's not like I can just stop taking my meds though. Hopefully some sort of sanity will prevail and this can somehow be resolved. I am having to do a rain check though on my plans to go across to Europe from the UK in December - I don't know that I can squander the forex I have left. This has all been looming as the economy has been in trouble for a long time but I don't know that anyone saw this all going belly up quite so quickly. Technically there aren't food shortages - people are panicking and hoarding and creating the shortages but with bankable money no longer equating to US dollars it makes it difficult for any business to function.



Having said all of this, it is looking to be quite a busy weekend. I am going to the Freshlyground concert at Jam Tree tomorrow. I then teach two sets on Saturday morning before going to help the rest of the committee set up at Alo Alo restaurant for the Convent Old Girls' lunch. There is then a quiz at Dandaro for the Dance Trust of Zimbabwe (it is a Halloween one, need to check they don't ask the questions I have prepared for my quiz at the Mustard Seed in two weeks' time). There is another quiz at Reps on Sunday and I then move to where I am house sitting next in Monavale. Next week is half term though -Can't.Wait!!!



My students are a little stressed out by all that is going on and tell me stories of standing in supermarket queues as we are rationed to one item per product per customer, so their parents get them to buy things. The deputy head needed dog meat and tried to get two packets but was told she could only have one. When she said she had two dogs, the cashier replied well the dogs would have to share!


No comments:

Post a Comment