Monday 13 May 2019

And then there were two ...




Have been caught up in the whirlwind of school starting. So far not bad, just busy, which is good. I have taken on another student in the afternoons to top up my income. He's a sweet boy in grade two who battles with dyslexia already. I can do some of my NILD with him. Some is a bit too advanced for grade two. Our first lesson went well this afternoon. Trying to fit in lessons with my Chinese student around all his Chinese homework and Chinese spring holidays. He had not forgotten about our plan to make a revolving solar system model and a gingerbread house when he is next back in Zim, which is soon. I had forgotten!



I am generally doing a whole heap better but I do get anxious at times. So must keep reading the book my cousin gave me "First we make the beast beautiful: a new story about anxiety" by Sarah Wilson. Queueing in endless lines of cars for fuel is becoming a bit of a nightmare. I queued for almost ten hours in total last week before I eventually struck lucky when I borrowed my mum's Total card. With having to give extra lessons to make ends meet I am limited with days I can queue. Afraid I lost my nerve on Thursday and Friday when I was sitting in the dark. Wasn't happy and went home. I might have to stick it out in future though. I try not to let my tank get below half if I can help it. You have to decide if you are going to do other things, like using the electricity to print while the power is on or go join a petrol queue and try do some marking. It's a constant trade off and we are apparently in for lots of power outages. And yet we still live here and try to make the best of it.



It was my mum's birthday on Friday. We celebrated with her on Saturday by going for lunch at Vanilla Moon (who have kept their prices down and give a really good variety of things on their menu - shout out to them!) From there we went to support the Phoenix Choir at St George's. Could hear the harmonies better from the audience. Hopefully will join if I cut it in the audition. Hoping it is as easy as everyone says. They have one more concert on this coming Sunday at Chapman's Golf Club.

It is my turn for staff tea this Friday. Thinking of a lemon cake and sausages. Everyone is scaling back a bit with the cost of everything. Apparently we now are second to only Venezuela in inflation again. It is scary how much people are charging for some things and you eke out on your salary 'til the end of each month and hope there are no major unexpected expenses.

Oh, and am down to two chickens it unfortunately seems. I don't know what has happened to the third.


No comments:

Post a Comment