Saturday 25 May 2019

Hanging in there

Feels like life in Zim has become just that much harder this week. You eke out on what you earn and try to make fuel last to the end of the week for work. Extra trips across town now feel like a luxury and you plan your life around power cuts. As one teacher said, she wishes we had diesel readily available so you can run your generator. We've come to the point where we are happy to have that as the norm - why do we need to depend on generators? Life goes on though and I wake up each morning in the dark to go to another day of teaching at school. If I didn't have that keeping me busy I would do my nut in. I have taken on an extra student twice a week in the afternoon to help boost my income a little. The mum has kindly said the rate can go with the exchange rate of bond to dollars. It has jumped this week. They put up the price of fuel too which is going to mean everything goes up again.



Trying to stay positive. Tomorrow it is Sr Paulette, my junior school headmistress's jubilee of being a Dominican nun. My mum and I are going to Emerald Hill Children's Home, where there will be a celebratory mass for Sr P., followed by a bring and share. Have just whipped up some cheese puffs to take while the power was on. Two good friends came for tea this afternoon and I laughed hard. Was great to see them again. Tomorrow I am skyping one of my best friends in Switzerland and after Sr P's do, hoping to go to a chamber music concert at Arundel. There was a craft and wine fair at The Flying Frog today. Had thought of going but it is across town and you had to pay to go in and then be tempted to buy stuff. Need to watch my finances. Next weekend will be the Wild Geese Art Festival. Went home this morning and sorted through art work and might try get a few more paintings mounted on card to exhibit.

On 26th. May 1969 I made my vows as a Dominican Sister. 
Now 50 years later on Sun. 26th. May 2019 we the Dominican Sisters would like to invite you to celebrate this Golden Jubilee with us.
Mass will be at 9.00am here in our Chapel at Emerald Hill followed by a bring and share get-together. Please join us. 👏🏻


There are days I just have to put my head down and get through the day. I still miss Matt terribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment