Tuesday 15 December 2020

Blue finger nails, Harry Potter and what makes you British

 First day of au pairing went by pretty quickly. Had to wait a while at the gate to Borrowdale Brooke to be let in but have now been lent the car I used before and have a disc to get in and out. Took the youngest little girl to swimming where she was a real little fish and super eager. It was very cute to watch. Treated her to an ice lolly on the way home from Kava. I volunteered to have my finger nails painted when we got home and the youngest and her brother applied blue polish with great gusto. I also had bubble bath put in my hair and on my arms, um yes. They were allowed to watch the fifth Harry Potter movie but they sat covering their eyes for parts of it and asked me when it would get really scary.

On my way home I went up Carrick Creagh to where I will be house sitting next week to learn the ropes. There are two massive great danes (when I got home my dogs, Jasper and Elsie, seemed quite small in comparison). I will also be looking after two rabbits ... and an oscar fish!! Never seen one of these before, it's pretty big and it is related to a piranha and bites. Don't quite see the appeal as a pet but it should be interesting to observe as it apparently makes nests out of rocks to lay eggs in (it's a type of cichlid). So stay tuned for updates on Oscar.

On the weekend away the topic of Zimbabweans claiming to British came up. I do feel I have both Zimbabwean and British heritage and consider myself both. The other person felt that you only had a right to claim to be British if you have lived in the UK. I said well my grandparents had served in the second world war but this was dismissed. It irked me when the other person claimed that people in Kenya had a greater claim to being British than people here. Would it mean a person born in the UK of Shona descent couldn't say they were Zimbabwean?

No comments:

Post a Comment