Wednesday 16 December 2020

How to cook a Christmas ham

 Went in to school first this morning as I had to prepare an assessment test for a Russian boy who may be in my class next year. Started also trying to sort out my classroom as I have been moved. From there I went on to the Brooke and arrived to find the children had been baking with the chef Victor. They had made a lemon meringue pie to take to their granny for a sleep over tonight and then also Paw Patrol cupcakes. They ended up filming me. As a belated birthday present for the five year old, I took some old make up of my sister's from her dancing days. Well next thing I knew I was being made over with purple eye shadow and a second coat of nail polish being applied. We took a break to paint some wooden hearts for Christmas presents. The two younger ones didn't quite get the rainbow effect as they blended all the colours together. Hope it's OK. Attention then turned to my hair and I had a canvas cloth draped round my shoulders and my hair washed, talcum powdered and then blow dried. They did try put eye shadow in but when nail clippers were trying to "trim" it, I said no. The nail clippers were nearly applied to my eyebrows too but again I drew the line.

We tidied up and then retreated to the garden where the eldest made videos with my phone of the flowers and a colony of white mushrooms. It is quite an entertaining shoot with me in the background saying don't eat the mushrooms, they could be poisonous. The middle child decided to taste the water in the bird bath. Again I am protesting in the background. At the end of the afternoon we got all three bathed and ready to go to their gran's for their sleepover. I will see them again in the morning.

I gave Victor the chef a lift to Avondale and on the way he gave me ideas on how to do Christmas hams next week. He mentioned what my friend Nina does, boiling them with an open beer can. I have a ready made glaze from the Woolworths outlet in Borrowdale and will try get some pineapple. The house where I am pet sitting next week has a gas oven, gulp, but it should be OK. Stopped to see a friend on the way home and had a giggle when she said she dashed in to watch a film society movie with her antlers alice band still on from a Pilates Christmas party. Tis the season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment