Friday 25 December 2020

Oscar loves her weed and Fishmonger's for Christmas

 As there was another power cut yesterday and I didn't know how long the inverter was going to last, I made the decision to go across town to Hatfield to my friend Nina, to go get some oxygen weed from her fish pond. She gave me three large Kefalos yoghurt containers of the stuff. Neens got a little emotional at the thought that some of her tadpoles might be sacrificed to the Oscar fish, but she told herself to get a grip and that it was the circle of life. It was actually really special to see Neens and her family on Christmas Eve, as it is also her little girl's birthday. I gave her little girl an angel for her Christmas tree and had a slice of blue and green birthday cake. Wouldn't have happened if Oscar the fish hadn't nearly died.

Oscar is absolutely thriving now and adores her pond weed. Makes her tank more interesting as she only had sand before and she's swimming up and down and eagerly awaiting being fed. So thanks everyone who helped to keep her alive. Team William, Claire, Lucy, Brendan and then Nina, Glynne and Mrs Glover. Was also cool to see Mrs G as she was in town and she taught me high school biology. We had an interesting conversation about stem cells and the new Corona vaccine and mRNA. Mrs G was one of my all time favourite teachers.

I nearly spent Christmas Day in a petrol queue. My trip to Hatfield chewed up a fair deal of fuel and I got a nasty surprise on the way to church this morning when the Empty light started flashing. The car I have been lent for house sitting has an electronic fuel gauge and it is difficult to tell how much fuel you really have. I passed a queue on Carrick Creagh but that was before the fuel light flashed. I tried Helensvale but neither garage had. Crossing fingers and saying a little prayer I crept to Piers Rd and thankfully they were open, had fuel and there was no queue. I could have been really stuck. Got a full tank as petrol seems to be scarce. Crazy as we are now having to pay in US dollars, I don't see why there is a problem.

Had a lovely lunch with friends at the new Fishmonger's at Circolo Italiano aka the new Italian Club. Fish for Christmas lunch is just such a good idea. You don't feel as full and it's a treat. I had a yummy halloumi starter and then a Portuguese pan of mussels, calamari and prawns. The joy of not having to slave over a stove all day for Christmas and not having to do washing up after. We came back to where I am house sitting for presents and mince pies. Tomorrow have been invited to a waifs and strays left over bring and share and then on Sunday doing online games for my friend Heather in England's birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment