Saturday 11 January 2014

Getting out of my comfort zone



So the meeting went better than I had anticipated yesterday. I managed to air some of my concerns with the new job and they were heeded. I'm afraid I still could have been more assertive with trying to negotiate over the proposed salary, I just don't like having to bring such things up and I give way in a discussion way too easily. The person who would be my main boss and supervise and instruct me day to day wasn't there as they are based out at the game park full time. The people I met with did warn me that he can have ridiculously high expectations and I will have to be careful to only take on what is feasible and not feel I have to meet every expectation and carry it all out single-handedly. This will be a challenge as I have a problem with saying no. Also, they did say I had to be careful not to over work myself as it will be up to me to take time out. I will pretty much be working 6 full days a week. Starting at around 5 am and possibly ending when the volunteers go to bed - so will be long days to say the least. Being based there full time and living there I will have to set my own boundaries as to when I need my own time out as otherwise I could end up working flat out 24-7. I did sense this at the previous meeting and that was one of my concerns as for the salary that is offered it is a high demand.

I am feeling a bit happier overall though and probably will go with it for the 3 month trial period at least. It is a job and in the current Zim/world economic climate I guess I can't be overly picky and it could be good. I just hope I will cope and will not get super stressed by the big expectations I have to fill. I have to keep reminding myself this is not Switzerland and I've come a long way since then. Looking after my mental health though is a challenge.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Katy - have been reading your thought process with care in my wee heart! You HAVE come a long way - keep remembering that. Full time work after you have been part time and ill for a while IS a challenge. When I went back to work after 9 months of The Big D, I had to pray a lot just to be able to physically meet the demands (hotel work). And God was FAITHFUL - I found myself able and favoured. Pray, trust Him. The people at Imire obviously think a lot of you, and your attitude and ideas will go a long way in them wanting to keep you and make this work. Well done for being able to speak about some of your concerns, keep trying and praying about what boundaries are the best for you and them. If it fails, then there's grace!! But there's grace to try and succeed too. Your sense of self could grow enormously out there. I pray that God would show Himself to you as Shepherd and show His tremendous tenderness to you as you make this transition. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Pam. Yes I have to make change at some point and need to just trust for God's grace in it all. xx

    ReplyDelete