Friday 5 June 2015

Good morning



Have been more social this week and had coffee with lots of friends. Some of you may have noticed I've been on Facebook more - it is an indicator of my mental health as you don't hear from me when I'm down but when I get more upbeat or verging on manic you get bombarded.

This morning I saw my therapist Rona and it was a good session. Focused on what my plans are now and what I can do to be proactive and try get more work. Also about the possibility of changing my meds and getting a second psychological assessment. I see my psychiatrist on Tuesday.

I went from therapy on to the Amanzi Food Market and wandered around and chatted to people. All sorts of interesting things from baobab jam to nuts and raspberries, yum. Then went past Convent to try get an application form for high school for my remedial student. She has left it too late though as the entrance exam is tomorrow. I did tell her parents to get a move on. I chatted to Mrs Glover the headmistress and put my name in for any subbing that might come up.

Then headed back into Mount Pleasant and splurged on some winter plants for the garden. Went for pretty pinks, with daisies, petunias, hypoestes and a cyclamen for my Mum. Chatted to my friend Adriana's Mum who works in a pottery shop in Arundel.

All in all am doing better and in a better space. Just need to keep myself busy and maybe find a bit more work. Tuesday will determine the way forward with my meds so I await that. Had conversations with two different people who don't really see that I need to be on medication and that my depression is an illness. Wish more people could understand that it is not just moods and over thinking but a condition of lack of chemicals going to areas of your brain. If you were a diabetic you wouldn't not take insulin. It is the same with being bipolar - you need serotonin. Philosophy and praying may help but you still need to take steps to be treated medically and change the way your brain thinks at times. I do overthink at times I know - in Shona the word for depression means thinking too much - it is an illness.



A friend shared a blog on Facebook called Becoming Minimalist. Have found some great reading in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment