Friday 14 September 2018

Love in the Time of Cholera and other stories




Made it to home time on Friday - woohoo!! Now to try annihilate my pile of marking so I can have a bit of a weekend. Went to a beer and food tasting and pairing evening at Jam Tree last night with the boyfriend. Really like the porter and The River Brewing Co. gave a good background on the brewing process and flavours. Never been beer tasting before, it was fun. Tomorrow I am supposed to be picking up my "step-brother" from Lilfordia and taking him round my favourite place - the Maasdorp Upmarket. Plan to go with the boyfriend next Saturday. Did I say I love that place? Am also still very much in love with the bf.




So with the cholera outbreak our grade one teacher had the mother of one little girl come and say for safety reasons she no longer wanted her daughter swimming at school. The poor grade one teacher thought she had neglected something in the pool time and had done something wrong. She was wracking her brains as to what when the mother said no, it was a risk of getting cholera from swimming! Supposedly people on FB were saying that all the helicopters flying over Harare at the moment are to monitor the cholera - um, yes - to see all the dead bodies?





It is two years today that my dear friend Cara's special mum died. Vanessa had become a really good friend of mine and was always supportive, kind and cheerful, even when she was battling the cancer that eventually sadly killed her. I miss getting emails from her and hearing of her travels. It's funny, I was just telling my boyfriend about her last night, not realising that today was the anniversary of when she died. Definitely someone I will always remember and gone too soon. I remember the last time I saw her in Joburg and how she said of course she would see me again when I said goodbye - unfortunately this was not to be.


You will always be remembered Vanessa and you are greatly missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment