Friday 21 September 2018

Church, school and life in the time of cholera



At church on Sunday I had to smile when a family across the way whipped out their hand sanitiser immediately after offering people the sign of peace. I guess you do have to think about such things though. In assembly on Monday morning the head told the students they can no longer drink the water we get by tank delivery and must bring their own boiled water to school. Some of the kids have brought hand sanitiser to school too.



It's been quite a week. I suddenly got an extra student - he was supposed to be going back to the UK but had visa issues and he came for an interview on Tuesday and started with us on Wednesday. One of my other students from last term returned two weeks late after his parents finally paid fees. Two extra students makes a big difference to my marking load - groan, but they are sweet boys. After swimming yesterday though two other boys decided to throw the new boy's hat in the loo and then flush it. Had to call in their parents. The swimming lesson itself had been eventful as one boy was stung by a bee and then one of my autistic boys went too far in the deep end and panicked. Nearly had to jump in.



All the students dressed up today as what they want to be when they grow up. Two boys looked rather like terrorists but told me they were going to be soldiers. I got asked what I was going to be when I grow up, hmmmm. One little girl wrote to her teacher about her roll model and when asked about it she said well it was a model who walked on a railway line.

Went to Msasa this afternoon to get quotes for fixing the car I damaged last Friday. Had to first queue for fuel to get across town. Hopefully it is more panic buying but who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment