Saturday 2 January 2021

Black mark on my house sitting career

 When I went to bed last night, Oscar was still on her side, but there was a lot more oxygen circulating and I think I had done all that I could. I was reluctant to go to bed though and deep down didn't know if she was going to make it to morning. I'm afraid I went through first thing this morning and she was lying still at the bottom of the tank, no gill movement and starting to turn black. I knew she was gone, but couldn't bring myself to turn off the pump. I messaged the owners to tell them, but they didn't reply. When they got in just before lunchtime their son got out the car and headed to the lounge and I had to tell him. Was a horrible moment. I honestly don't know what else I could have done though and thinking on it, Oscar had stopped eating before the tank became murky due to the power cut. I do feel bad though, my first pet sit fatality to date.

Am back home now and sorting out my life and trying to think about school. My dogs are happy to have me back and have been reading emails from the great danes. I will miss the two great danes and in a way, poor old Oscar. I couldn't bear to sit in the lounge where her tank was when I waited for the owners to come back. I guess these things happen but I will not do fish in future, or snakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment