Friday 1 January 2021

Isolation and keeping Oscar alive - just one more night Oscar!

 Although I personally didn't come into direct contact with the person who has COVID and only saw a person they were in contact with, the next day, I am still being careful. A friend is having a braai tomorrow and when I explained, she said she'd rather I didn't come tomorrow. I understand. Have been feeling a bit nauseous today, but think it's from too much rich food over Christmas. I went to bed early last night but woke up at what must have been midnight to fireworks and the dogs in distress. My medication usually makes me sleep through most things but I woke up. I couldn't rouse myself though to get up as I was barely awake. The dogs were in the kitchen, so couldn't run away or hurt themselves. I hate fireworks.

Spent the day at home, listening to the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and clapping on an online app when prompted. On Wednesday, before I went into isolation, we were having coffee with Sr Paulette at Veldemeer's when I had the dress rehearsal trial run for applause. We must have looked funny as there were my mum, Sr Paulette and I, clapping into my phone and saying bravo in the middle of the restaurant. Today we had to turn the volume down of the concert when prompted and clap. It was being filmed but golly, a whole minute or more of clapping is quite something. I think we must have flagged halfway through and it probably is quite comical viewing. The concert was lovely, but I don't know that I am volunteering to clap online again!

I started looking at IGCSE geography and then stopped. I will contact the school and ask for the text book and access to online Cambridge resources next week. I did wake up this morning though and think I now have four months to get ready for the second term. We wait and see what happens about school for this term and whether it will have to be online again or not. I will have to adjust my lessons a bit if it is work packs and Zoom sessions again. I know one mother is not going to be happy at all if it is back to remote teaching, but there is nothing we can do if it is.

Made a ghost mobile for my godson instead, watched My Octopus Teacher again (highly recommend - made me think of friends and family in beautiful Cape Town, where the documentary was filmed) and then ... suddenly had to try revive Oscar, AGAIN!!! Had been noticing the pump wasn't churning up the water as much and Oscar started to flag this afternoon. I even got the whisk out again. Thinking I couldn't whisk all night and trying to think of a solution, I propped the pump up a bit with a rock. I had cleaned out the filters this morning. This still didn't do much so I phoned my friend William, the fish doctor!! He talked me through some things and eventually said I should try prop up the pump a bit more. This has made the air circulate better but Oscar is still looking pale and is not looking great. If she can just last until 12 midday tomorrow. I sincerely hope she doesn't peg on this my last night of fish-sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment