Wednesday 6 November 2013

My personal capital




Today was another session with my therapist and I talked about the latest happenings in my life and my stress levels. She said it is normal to feel anxious about becoming unemployed. One of the things that has been bothering me is if something were to happen to my Mum I really don't know how I would cope both emotionally and financially. She made me sit back and look at it objectively and see what my personal capital is. The first is that I have a degree and a brain. My big challenge is finding paying work though here in Zim for what I'm qualified for. This is an ongoing struggle. I guess it is a challenge for a lot of young people though as work is scarce. I have to be creative and be able to do a variety of things. The person interviewing me for possible teaching positions at a local school commented last Friday that I've had a checkered career. I don't know that this has been out of choice but more as a result of the Zimbabwean economic climate.

Another thing my therapist told me to focus on to quell my fears of being left destitute should my Mum pass away was my social network. I don't think I would want to ask people for help though. I find this very difficult. With my recent anxieties my therapist made me think about how I should tackle these. One of the key things was to tell someone. I don't do this readily and try to just go on even if I'm not coping. Part of it is that people will offer advice and this is not always helpful.

With my job search I keep questioning what it is that I really want to do and struggle to find jobs that will give me fulfillment. I came across this article titled

20-Year-Old Hunter S. Thompson’s Superb Advice on How to Find Your Purpose and Live a Meaningful Life

by which sums it up pretty much in what I constantly am grappling with. The things I'd love to do just don't pay. Finding purpose and doing what I'm truly passionate about are a big factor in ultimately making me happy and giving me something to get up in the morning for.

No comments:

Post a Comment