Friday 1 November 2013

Travel bug


Besides a trip to Cape Town and then a day crossing to Chobe in Botswana I haven't ventured out of Zim this year. I have fitted in a fair bit of travel around Zim so for that I'm grateful. Am feeling in need of another adventure though and would love to hop on a plane and go off to somewhere new. Perhaps not on my own and possibly I'm not brave enough to go where I don't know a single other soul. All the same, to see somewhere new and to hopefully meet new, interesting people is a desire.


In a way, going just for a holiday seems like an expensive luxury. I would rather go for a reason and possibly to do something with it. Would then feel my savings were being maximized. The UK has an allure as there are many school friends there, some of whom I have not seen in some time now and also some family. But further afield than that also appeals ... to go off to Canada, the Antarctic (to see emperor penguins), South America, Australia ... I need a fat bank balance and some courage to do this, but it is a dream nonetheless.

Harare can feel comfortingly small and cosy and then stifling and claustrophobic at the same time. I miss Cape Town and living next to the ocean. I would give anything to have a beach readily on hand and be able to go and dig my feet in silky sea sand and watch the magnitude of the waves pummeling the shore. I also miss having mountains making up my skyline not to mention some of my friends that I had. There were lonely moments in Cape Town too though. I have got a big circle of friends now in Harare, although looking at it objectively not a large proportion of male friends (at least the one's I do have are practically all in relationships). As someone put it, we need to import eligible males into Harare from somewhere.



I guess I'm at a cross roads again on where I want to be. This is not made easy by the fact that as of yet I don't have a proper job for next year. I had an interview to teach this morning, but there aren't any immediate vacancies. I have put feelers out for other conservation/environmental work and have offered to volunteer for a project recycling things to generate incomes for HIV destitute women. I have also come up with a project with a friend to make a documentary on Harare's water crisis and wetlands. This will all keep me busy but not necessarily paid. Harare is an expensive place to live and there is no social benefit if you're unemployed.

Guess I just have to trust and keep exploring different options and be adaptable. As the interviewer this morning said, I've had a very varied career path to date. I supposed I'm looking for the main pathway now and need to cut my main career path.


No comments:

Post a Comment