Monday 5 October 2015

Forwards and Backwards in Time



Well I left Harare on Saturday and flew via Lusaka to Dubai. In Lusaka we sat on the plane for about an hour and half as they checked the number of passengers still on the plane and the Zambian passengers boarded. Lusaka seemed bigger than Harare from the air but not sure that it is. It had lights on which Harare doesn't at the moment.

From Lusaka we headed north to Dubai and had just semi fallen asleep when they switched the lights on at 2 am to serve us breakfast. I should have set my watch forward to Dubai time as was 4 am there. Afraid I couldn't quite stomach smoked chicken at 2 am. We landed in Dubai at 6 am their time - 4 am Harare time. The consumerism in the duty free was something. Some of the Dubai products were interesting though. I had a much needed cup of coffee and boarded the underground train to get to my terminal. There were two boarding points and had to be searched at the second and switch on my lap top.





The plane from Dubai to Heathrow was really fancy and elegantly designed. It had different levels and you had a greater selection of things to watch and the plane even had wifi after take off. There was quite a bit of cloud over most of the day flight but saw the wind farm off the coast of England as we came in to land. I arrived to a sunny day in England and got away with wearing a skirt and semi open shoes. My Mum's friend Sarah very kindly was there to meet me at the airport and drive me back to Oxford to stay with her. On the drive to Oxford there were lots of autumnal trees.

It feels a bit strange being back in the first world. In a way it feels familiar but in other ways not.

No comments:

Post a Comment